What is a Security Deposit?
A Security Deposit is a temporary hold of funds that is placed to the guest credit card on file in case any incidentals or damages occur during their stay. Typically, the security deposit is processed on the day of arrival and refunded on the departure date upon inspection of the property and if no damages are found.
How to Process a Security Deposit in CiiRUS
Process a Security Deposit, go to:
- Reservations & Quoting
- Bookings List
- Filter for the bookings arriving today
- Double click on the booking to open the Total Booking Summary
Booking Summary (Payments)
- Click on the Payments tab
- If a valid card is already on file for the guest, click on Take Payment
- Enter the security deposit amount
- Specify Security Deposit (auth only) as the Payment Type
It is very important to specify the correct payment type- ‘Security Deposit’ so the system knows how to treat the payment. Since the security deposit is typically not taxable and is refunded back to the guest, the security deposit does not affect the booking total and is treated as a separate hold on to the guest card.
5. Specify the guest card under the payment method and
6. Click the tick box to take payment now
7. Click Ok to process the security deposit
8. An approved or declined message will appear.
If successfully processed, a new line item will appear under the Payments window to reflect that the security deposit was taken against the booking.
Using a different payment method
If there is not a valid card on file for the guest, or the guest would like to use a different payment method to process the security deposit,
- Click on ‘Cards’ > and
- Enter the billing and card details,
- Press Submit
Then proceed with the prior steps
Secure credit card link
Alternatively, a secure credit card link can be sent to the guest for them to submit their billing details. To do so:
- Click on Payment Link
- Select Security Deposit as the payment type and
- Enter the applicable amount.
- Click Copy to paste the link in an email to the guest, or
- View in Browser to preview the payment page
Once the guest has submitted the security deposit via the payment link, a pending transaction will appear under:
Reservations & Quoting > Credit Card Processing
To process the security deposit:
- Select the pending transition
- Click Authorize Only
- Click to send a notification to the guest if desired
- Click Process
An approved or declined message will appear
How to Release the Security Deposit
This varies depending on the financial institutions and credit card types. We recommend contacting your Credit Card Processing company to see if the security deposit can be auto-released on the desired date
Configuring Security Deposits
To setup Security Deposits:
- Open the Property Assistant from Owners & Homes > Property Assistant
- Down Payment / Balance > Security Deposit
- Click the Templates Button
- Press Add
- Enter Security Deposit title > Description and the Amount and press OK
- Then specify Security Deposit to the applicable units.
Once configured, the Security Deposit will be itemized on HomeAway quotes and bookings. The steps above will still need to be completed in order to process the security deposit on the day of arrival